Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




March 25, 2010

Roasted Oat-Almond Smoothie

Smoothie and Lassi lovers rejoice - for your favourite drink has now scaled new heights.

I happen to love oatmeal. Yogurt finds its way into my daily diet, too. And invariably when we go grocery shopping my eyes do not miss out on the flavoured yogurt and frozen treats section. Key-Lime Pie flavoured yogurt caught my attention at once. It did taste good but had me thinking way beyond just eating flavoured yogurt. So, this luscious drink was born. It is thick and creamy with delicious notes of oats and almonds to make your taste buds dance.

Here's a drink that you can comfortably do a bottom's up without your guilt going up, too!



Ingredients
1/2 Cup Yogurt/Curd (I've used the low-fat variety)
1 tbsp Almonds
2 tbsp Rolled Oats
1 tbsp Sugar (You can opt to use honey or artificial sweetners, too)
2 tbsp Chocolate Syrup (Optional)

Method
- Roast the almonds and oats on a low flame until fragrant
- Blend to a powdery texture
- Whip this roasted oat-almond powder into the yogurt
- Add sugar and whip to a smooth texture
- Pour the chocolate syrup at the base of a glass
- Top with oat-almond smoothie
- Serve chilled

SERVES 1

A healthy drink to start your day if you do not mind skipping the chocolate! And, if you do use chocolate, make sure it is sweet because some syrups can be bitter. Add sugar/honey to sweeten the same to make a perfect snack-time drink or dessert. It is great to serve kids too!



This smoothie is travelling the miles from New Jersey to Namma Bengaluru to participate in Madhuri's Serve me Some...Juices, Shakes, Smoothies event. I hope you like this one, gurl!

15 comments:

  1. ooohh..feels like i have put on 2kgs already by jus loooking at it..lol..!!!..hehehehe...wat a life..:(..neways who cares..will make it this weekend and have it for sure..:D..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archana, it is NOT as fattening as it appears. In fact, I would say its a very healthy drink if you use low-fat yogurt. And, oats and almonds are good for you. Almonds have omega fatty acids which are good for the body. Oats are high in fibre. Yogurt is good for the digestive system. All in all, a must try! You can omit the chocolate if you really want to keep it super-healthy. I did not tag it Healthy-Appetite for nothing, you see :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a lover of oats, but consume it for good health. This one looks so healthy and attractive. If it's served this way, I am sure to be a fan of oats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey this looks so refreshing..first time to your blog, I loved your space..too good.will be visiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deepa...Thanks for dropping by. Do try this one! I am sure you will enjoy it. Keep checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mallika, give this a shot. You will start looking at oats in a whole new way. You can even consider adding saffron to give it a nre twist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deepti..the presentation looks so lovely..must taste divine too.. you have an award in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Gomathy.. I am honored! Will collect and post your award soon. Thanks a zillion.

    And, yes.. do try this one. It tastes great! Almost like a dry fruit lassi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmilicious! Cant wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great and healthy too! Will try it out for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This smoothie looks very healthy and delicious.Beautiful click.I particularly love the separated layers .Looks awesome.My 1st visit here you have great space Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your compliments simply.food. I just hopped on to your space and see you have some great stuff going on there to! Will stay connected!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks very healthy and a treat for the eyes ...

    ReplyDelete