Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




February 15, 2015

Super Moist Banana Nut Loaf

Let's start with a little note before we preheat our oven for this one - Where in the world have I been all this while? Well, to cut things short, I had been to you-seriously-cannot-be-this-lazy kind of a town. Yeah, so let me be brutally honest and agree with you if you think I've become so hopelessly tardy with my food blog. But, I still am trying to revive it and in that attempt I do hope to keep you entertained, engaged and satisfied with whatever little I share every now and then.

Now jumping into the Super Moist Banana Nut Loaf here...
Let me give you some time to jump in.

Done jumping?

This was my first baking adventure after a really, really long break of almost two and half years. And, then I took really, really long to post it, too. Good heavens, I made this sometime in summer and am posting it here in winter. But, well at least I am posting it, after all!

So yes, I made this one day to satisfy my sweet tooth and to serve up to a couple of relatives who dropped by for tea one evening. Ripe bananas come together in the oven with toasted nuts into a delicious, aromatic experience you too can feel, just after one bite into this loaf!



This recipe comes with lesser butter than the Sugar Glazed Banana Walnut Muffins and one lesser egg than the Rich Banana Almond Cake, both of which I had posted way back in the hay days of blogging. Yet, so moist and flavourful, you have no excuse now that you have jumped in this far!



Ingredients
1 1/4 Cups All purpose flour (Maida)
1 1/2 Cups (approx 2 nos.) over-ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 Cup Mixed nuts (such as unsalted almonds, walnuts, cashews)
1 Cup Granulated sugar
4 oz Unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
1 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1 Egg, lightly beaten
A pinch of salt



Method
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease baking loaf pan. You may line your loaf pan with parchment paper for easy clean-up
- Place walnuts on baking sheet and toss in oven for about 10 minutes to toast the nuts. You can skillet toast nuts, too
- In the meanwhile, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl
- Pull out the toasted nuts, coarsely chop them and toss them into the flour(dry) mixture
- To the lightly beaten egg, add the vanilla essence, butter and mix until just blended
- Now, stir the mashed bananas and oil into this wet mixture
- Pour this wet mixture into the dry flour mixture and fold until just blended
- Pout the batter into prepared baking loaf pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out smoothly
- Cool completely before taking out the baked loaf onto a plate prior to slicing

Makes about 8 to 10 slices

No comments:

Post a Comment