Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




September 22, 2009

Yogurt Parfait

This particular item caught my attention when I was watching Food Network. One of the chefs so artistically put together simple ingredients that it left me drooling. I tried my hand at it using low fat/fat free ingredients and I think it turned out pretty well....umm, at least it tasted great and satisfied my craving for something cold on a summer afternoon without adding up on unwated calories....And just in case the pictures leave you wondering, yup I ate the whole thing myself - A well deserved treat for an over-worked mom :)




Ingredients

8oz - Low fat or Fat free vanilla yogurt
1 scoop - Fat free Frozen yogurt (Any flavour. I've used Vanilla Chocolate Ripple)
1 Strawberry - Cut into four thin slices (Save the rest for the topping)
2 tbsp - Blueberries
2 tbsp - Green and Red grapes
4 tbsp - Cereal (Parfaits normallly use granola, but I did not have it handy and so I used Cereal instead. Did not taste too bad really!)
1 tsp - Honey
1 Cherry


Method
- In a tall glass or bowl pour the fat free/low fat flavoured yogurt
- Slide in the sliced strawberries from the side. You could cut up any other fruit and slide in in there for mroe colour,flavour and texture.
- Top this with the cereal/granola
- In a separate bowl combine honey with blueberries and grapes
- Add this as the next layer
- Finally, throw in that scoop of frozen yogurt and top up with the cherry


Noteworthy Notes
1. You can skip the ice cream all together and this would make a great brunch for kids who fuss to eat their fruit.
SERVES 1 (and is VERY filling)

No comments:

Post a Comment