1/2 Cup - Whole Black Gram (Kaali Urad Dal)
1/8 Cup - Red Lentils (Matki Masoor)
1/8 Cup - Raajma (Red Kidney Beans)
1/2 Large Onion - Finely chopped
4 pcs Green Chillies
3 tbsp - Ginger garlic paste (You could grate fresh ginger and garlic too)
1.5 tsp - Corriander Powder (Dhania powder)
1 tsp - Red Chillie Powder
1 tsp - Jeera (Cumin seeds)
1 tsp - Garam Masala Powder
A pinch of hing (Asafoetida)
And, of course, some salt to taste!!
- Soak the dals over night.
- The next morning pressure cook the dals with salt, green chillies, hing and a drop of oil.
- Once the dals are cooked, mash them to a gravy like consistency. Do not overdo this step if you like the chunky dal taste (I do!) in this dish. If there is excess water drain it out before you mash the dal but do not throw it. Save it for some further steps.
- Now in a saucepan, heat oil
- Add the jeera and allow it to splutter
- Now add the onions and fry until transclucent
- Toss in the ginger garlic paste and fry further
- Add the garam masala, dhania powder and red chillie powder and fry for a few seconds
- Now add the cooked dals and stir. If it happens to be too thick then pour the water left from draining the dals. If you had no water left simply add some fresh water to dilute the gravy to the consistency you want.
- Adjust spices and salt based on your requirement
- Cover and cook on a very low flame for 20-30 minutes
Serve hot with home-made rotis, lemon wedges, onions and salad.