Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




June 30, 2009

Cabbage Pakoda (Cabbage Fritters)

About a month ago my hubby's company organized a pot-luck party at a park. It was supposedly a bar-b-que cum pot-luck cum cricket party. Which only meant loads of good appetizers and much-along-the-game foods. So I decided this would make a good treat for our "players" after a long day at the field. It's a good change from the cliched onion pakodas and makes sure you get your veggies (I know, cabbage can be yuck! But try this). Yeah, its deep fried, but are'nt we burning it out at the game?

Ingredients
1/2 Large Cabbage, finely julienned
1/2 Onion, finely julienned
4-5 pcs, Green chillies, chopped
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1.5 Cups Gram Flour (Besan/Channe ka atta)
3 tbsp Rice Flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Ghee (Clarified butter)
Oil, to deep fry
And, of course, some salt to taste!!


Method
- Add all ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl and mix well. Do not add water. Instead squeeze out the cabbage itself to release its inherent water content
- Make small bite size patties. Don't worry too much about the shape. These babies can be a pain to make into a perfect circle!
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai and deep fry the patties
- Place fried fritters on kitchen towel to drain off excess oil


Noteworthy Notes
1. If you find the cabbage batter just too dry to form patties then you can add just 1-2 tsp of water to help you mix it easily
2. You can add other veggies, such as julienned carrots, bell peppers etc for extra taste and texture


Serving Suggestion
Serve hot with your favourite dip/sauce/ketchup.


SERVES 4

1 comment: