Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




May 27, 2009

South Indian Style Fish Curry

What do I do with left-over fish after I've had enough of fried fish? Yes. You got it. Make fish curry. The best part of this recipe is although it seems like too many things going in, the time consumed is surprisingly very less! Try it... you will know what I'm talking about.

Ingredients
1lb Fish, cleaned and cut into pieces (I've used King Fish)

For Gravy (Masala)
1 Onion (medium sized) - Roughly chopped
1/2 Tomato - Chopped
5 Cloves of garlic
A handful of washed coriander leaves
1/2 Cup Coconut (Pieces or Flakes)
2 tbsp Sambar Powder (My Mom-in-law made this for me. I'm lucky)
1 fl. oz. - Tamarind Paste
1/2 tsp. - Mustard Seeds
1/4th tsp. - Fenugreek Seeds (Methi seeds)

For Seasoning
1/2 tsp. - Mustard Seeds
5 pcs. Curry Leaves
1/4th Cup - Onion, finely chopped
Oil

And, of course, some salt to taste!!

Method
- In a frying pan, heat a few drops of oil and add 1/2 tsp of Mustard seeds and the methi seeds and fry for about a minute on a low flame
- Add the coconut, onions and garlic and fry on a medium flame until the coconut flakes turn brown on the egdes OR until you get the fragrant aroma of all the ingredients releasing their flavours. I recommend the latter!
- Allow this fried muxture to cool
- Now, in a blender toss in all the fried ingredients, tomato, tamarind paste and sambar powder
- Grind to make a smooth paste and set aside
- In a saucepan, heat some oil and add the remaining mustard seeds and allow to splutter
- Toss in the curry leaves and then the onions
- Fry until the onions are translucent
- Pour in the ground paste and stir
- Add water just enough to make the paste into a gravy texture
- Add salt and allow to come to a rapid boil for about 5 minutes
- Now lower the flame and put the fish pieces
- Slightly cover and allow the fish to cook in the gravy

Serving Suggestion
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with either rice or rotis.

SERVES 4

No comments:

Post a Comment