Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




May 28, 2009

Sev Aloo Papdi Chaat

They say "All is fair in love and war". I would like to add just one more thing - Chaat. Why? Well, simply because most chaats come out of mixing just about anything you like. So, one day I started off with boiling potatoes thinking I will make Aloo Chaat. Then I suddenly remembered I had cucumbers...oh, and Sev as well. So things tended towards Sev Puri. Not to forget the papdis that we purchased a week ago.....umm.. I'm thinking Papdi Chaat. Then *boom* I had this idea.. why not combine all the three? After all, there are NO rules to making chaat. And I had it MY WAY!!


Ingredients
1 Potato - Boiled and diced
1/2 Tomato - Diced
1/2 Onion - Finely chopped
1/2 Cup - Cucumber, diced
1/2 tbsp. Red chili powder (You can use Cayenne or Paprika powder too)
1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
10 pcs. Ready-to-eat Flat Chaat Puris (Papdi), randomly crushed
1/2 Cup - Spicy Indian Mixture
3/4th Cup - Fine Sev
1/2 Cup - Yogurt, whipped to a smooth texture
2 fl. oz. Sweet Tamarind Chutney
Refer Quick and Easy Sweet Tamarind Chutney under the Basics category for instructions
A few sprigs of cilantro/coriander to garnish
Oil
And, of course, some salt to taste!!



Method
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok (kadaai)
- Toss in the boiled and diced potatoes and fry
- Add salt, chili powder and turmeric powder and fry for about 2 minutes on a medium flame
- In a bowl, add the fried potato pieces
- Top up with the tomatoes, cucumber, onions, crushed papdi and mixture
- Pour the sweet tamarind chutney and drizzle some yogurt
- Garnish with sev and coriander


SERVES 2

No comments:

Post a Comment