Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




May 13, 2009

Bhindi Sabji

This is again a dish that I make very often. It goes very well with phulkas or chapathis. The only drawback of course is the long time the bhindi takes to give up its sticky-ness during prep-work!!



Ingredients

1lb Bhindi (Okra/Ladies finger) - Thinly sliced

1/2 Tomato - Finely chopped

1/2 Onion - Finely chopped

1 tbsp Chillie powder

1 tsp Dhania powder

1 tsp Turmeric powder

Oil

And, of course, some salt to taste!!


Method

- Fry the sliced bhindi in oil until all the sticky fibres disappear. This takes a while. Be patient!

- Now in another vessel, heat oil and add the chopped onions.

- Fry until translucent

- Add the tomatoes and fry until it blends well with the onions

- Add the fried bhindi

-Toss in the turmeric powder, chillie powder, dhania powder and salt and stir well. There is no need to worry that the bhindi will break up. In fact that adds further taste to the preparation

- Cover and cook on a low flame (Stirring occassionally to avoid burning) until the bhindi becomes soft.

Serving Suggestion
Serve with hot phulkas or chapathis

SERVES 1

No comments:

Post a Comment