A couple of stores in the US carry some really interesting things. Among others, I hate why Trader Joe's hasn't yet opened a store around where we live. So, every time I'd go to meet people who lived near one, I'd never miss a chance to hop by and gape at all the line-up of organic, naturally delicious stuff they stock up. I flip like a teenager in love, each and every time I see their packaging and brown bags made using recycled paper.
On one such
voracious trip to Trader Joe's I picked up this packet of brown rice spaghetti. Following the package instructions, the first time around I cooked it and tossed it in some regular marinara sauce. No great shakes. Tasted good. But, this spaghetti was so earthy and wholesome I just had to put it to better use.
On another (not so voracious) mundane grocery shopping day, I picked up some Oscar Mayor Carving Board Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken. I could possibly eat just this thing all by itself and not want anything else with it. Randomly cut the chicken into chunks, add tomatoes, onions, lettuce, seasoned bread croutons and your favorite dressing and it is a meal in itself!
And, on another wonderful day when I really was voraciously hungry, I married the most delicious spaghetti with the best deli chicken in town and made this scrumptious lunch.
You need very few ingredients for this one but the outcome will make people thing you slogged for hours in the kitchen. You can even make this with regular pasta and deli chicken (or cooked shredded chicken). Yum is the word. Try it for yourself!
1/2 Packet of Brown Rice Spaghetti OR Regular spaghetti
1/2 Box of Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken, cut into random chunks OR cooked and shredded chicken
1/2 Cup Red Onions, cubed
1/2 Green Bell Pepper/Capsicum, julienned
2-3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2-3 Scallions, cut into one inch pieces
1 tsp Pepper (Use more if desired)
And, of course, some salt to taste!
- Cook spaghetti as per package instructions. (Or use these directions)
- In a wide non-stick pan, heat about 2-3 tbsp oil
- Once the oil is hot, add cubed onions and saute until tender
- Add green bell peppers and saute for another 3-4 minutes
- Toss in the scallions and stir fry
- Add chicken and stir fry for about a minute or two, since the chicken is already cooked
- Add the cooked spaghetti, salt and pepper and toss until all of the spaghetti is well mixed with the onions, peppers, scallion and the chicken
- Serve hot with a glass of red wine