We're really not big seafood eaters. But, when it comes to shrimp we'd go the extra mile to make it. Not the curried/gravied (if there's a word like that) ones. We don't go there. We like oil, really. Ahem! Shrimp. Even if it comes deep-fried, packed with calories and bread crumbs alike. Now, like many other things that change, this frenzy of fried shrimp changed too - Ever since we bought our indoor grill! I've made grilled chicken cutlets and veggie seekh kababs, to name a few things I've thrown over the fancy gadget. I really want to use it a lot more. So, keep your eyes hooked on to SSTT.
But, for now let me serve you some Grilled Shrimp Kababs. Succulent, spicy and just made for those lazy weekend lunches when you want to do less in the kitchen and catch up with you favorite shows on TV.
You can make this using the regular conventional oven, too. I've explained that process in the recipe as well.
This one is so easy to put together, you'd be running to buy shrimp the moment you're done reading this super-short reicpe.
50-60 Shrimp (tail-off), peeled, de-veined, washed
Vegetables (I've used Tomato, Onion and Green Pepper) cut into 1 inch squares
For the marinade
1 tsp Turmeric powder
3-4 tsp Chillie powder (or per taste)
2 tsp Coriander/Dhania powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1 tbsp Garlic paste
1/4 Cup Yogurt/curd
2 tbsp Lemon juice
And, of course, some salt to taste!
Other stuff you'll need
5-6 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a zip-top bag and shake until well mixed
- Toss in the shrimp, vegetables and give another good shake to coat everything inside
- Marinate for a good 4-6 hours, or even longer if you have the time
- Preheat grill/oven. If using oven, preheat to 400F
- Thread marinated shrimp and vegetables over skewers in any pattern you wish and place on hot grill. In the oven place them over baking sheet lined with tin foil
- DO NOT throw away remaining marinade
- Keep flipping and basting the shrimp with leftover marinade and grill/bake until done
- Serve hot with a tall glass of fizzy raspberry lemon cooler
Makes about 5-6 skewers with around 10 shrimp on each