Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




March 8, 2010

Wheat Bread Veggie Pizza

With a toddler running the house...er, I mean, running around the house, fixing quick meals is of prime importance. I have read in umpteen number of places that kids imitate us - even when it comes to eating. And, I have observed that my son does eat better when we eat the same thing together. So, while I am trying to whip up lunch for my bundle of energy, I try to make the same item in two different ways - one high calorie for the brat and one (boo hoo) low calorie for the mom! So, when it comes to bread pizza I had to think twice. Pizza was a yes. Personally, I cannot imagine anyone not liking it! But I did not want to compromise on taste...and hence I did what I had to do. Want to know more? Read up!

Posted by Picasa


Ingredients
4 Slices of bread
2 Cups Choice of veggies - Julienned/Chopped (I have used broccoli, red bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, green beans and carrots)
1 Cup - Shredded Mozzarella cheese (I have used low fat variety)
4 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp chillie powder (optional)
Oil/Cooking spray
And, of course, some salt to taste!

Method
- Stir fry all the veggies (except tomatoes) to a crisp texture
- Preheat oven to 150F
- Spray/Spread oil on a oven-safe baking tray/dish
- Lay the bread slices over it
- Apply one tbsp. of tomato ketchup on each slice and spread evenly
- Divide the stir fried veggies into four portions and spread over the bread slices
- Sprinkle salt and chillie powder
- Top up with cheese
- Place in oven and bake until cheese melts and bread gets slightly toasty
- Serve hot

SERVES 2

You could add more cheese for the kids, like I have done. The first image is that of the slice that I fed my lil sonny (with more cheese), the second (less cheese) for moi!

One slice of this makes a perfect snack to refuel kids. So, this savoury dish is on its way to the Kid's Delight - Wholesome Snacks event, hosted by Srivalli of Spice your Life.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Yummylicious! I made a similar version last week :)
    Btw, I tried your break pakoda and it was lip-smackingly good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Madhuri. I am glad you liked it. It's a darn simple recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inpressed with your blogs more than your cooking. Feels hungry the way you describe. Will get inspired from you very very soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vipul!

    Thank you so much for dropping by. I know.. my cooking really is not that great. Simple dishes, honeslty. Writing is my first love and food competes to take its place...which, I guess explains why I can get you hungry with how I describe things out here!

    Do keep checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lovely entry!..pizza looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure, Srivalli. Your event itself was so inviting.. I could not stop myself from sending in something!

    ReplyDelete