Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




February 17, 2010

Onion Ring Wrap

Our pit-stop after long day trips normally is at a fast food joint. We pick up a bunch of burgers and fries, munch it along the way back home and crash after a day out. I know its not particularly healthy, but it is practical when every bone in your body craves the sack. On one such trip that we made on a national holiday we had packed lunch but did not expect to get delayed and run out of time to make dinner. But, as you might have guessed..that's exactly what happened. Not a single restaurant was open. And as always, it is when you are terribly hungry that you will have just about nothing in your fridge and your pantry ...as dry as the Sahara. I dug deep into the freezer and found a packet of frozen onion rings that had gone unnoticed and untouched because they were not as tasty as the freshly made ones. But, they came as a saviour this time around. Thankfully for us, I had some whole wheat tortillas stashed up in the fridge...just enough to make a quick meal, without much cooking! How cool is that?



Posted by Picasa


Ingredients
2 Whole Wheat Tortillas
6-8 Onion Rings (Fried or oven-roasted)
2 tbsp Mustard Sauce
2 tbsp Low fat Ranch Dressing(You can substitute this with Mayonnaise)
1 tbsp Hot and Sweet Tomato Ketchup
1/2 Cup Iceberg Lettuce, Shredded/randomly chopped
And, of course, some salt to taste!

Method (Nothing gets easier than this, I'm sure!)
- Microwave each tortilla for a couple of seconds (just enough to get them warm)
- Lay each on a plate
- Crush/Break the Onion Rings into halves in a bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss together like you would a salad
- Divide this into two parts, one for each tortilla
- Leave about an inch or two from the bottom part of each tortilla and in the center place the onion ring mixture in a narrow cylindrical form
- Fold the bottom (the part that you left below the mixture) over
- Wrap each tortilla up from either side over the mixture and you are all set to enjoy this crispy meal!

SERVES 2

This one came handy another day when I had left-over Onion Rings from a previous night's party. So, this little one is on its way to Gomathy's event CoL - Leftover Delicacies on her blog, Spicy Lounge.



And, a couple days later I tried the same quick-n-easy wrap with french fries, and boy, was it divine! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment