Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




February 8, 2010

Candy Cookies

Most people would agree that baking sweet treats is more of a science, unlike cooking which I'd think is an art. Why? Well, add one extra egg and you'll end up baking a disaster. Measurements are critical; Temperature's got to be right - And only then will you end up having a proper dish. So, just thinking about all this drove me far far away from trying to make cookies. I still remember my Dad's experiment to make 'em and the cookies could easily be mistaken for rocks!! Dad, don't yell at me for spilling your cookies...er, beans. Hehe. Anyway, one fine day I mustered up the courage and decided I will do my bit of research online and try my hand at baking up a couple myself..and the result was not that bad really. In fact, I served 'em up at a party!! Go ahead, set your oven to preheat mode and get the ingredients. Now!
Posted by Picasa

Ingredients
1 Cup Flour (I have used 1/2 Cup All purpose flour and 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat flour. You can choose to use 1 full cup of either one of the flours)
1 Cup of Confectioners Sugar
6 tbsp Unsalted butter (softened/at room temperature)
1 Egg (Beaten)
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
A pack of Candy (I've used M&Ms)

Method
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Sift the flour into a bowl
- Add butter and mix to form a crumb like mixture
- Add sugar, salt and baking powder and stir
- Toss in the vanilla extract and egg and beat on low-medium speed until it forms a batter like consistency
- Make tiny balls out (about 3/4 inch diameter) and place on a greased baking sheet with at least 2 inches space between each cookie
- Top every cookie with a candy (You can choose to crush the candy and put it along with the batter. I will try doing that the next time!)
- Place in preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are golden and the rims are light brown.
- Once baked allow to cool on a rack for a few minutes
- Serve warm with a fresh glass of milk or at tea time

Makes about 2 Dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment