Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




February 23, 2010

Asian Style Griddle Fried Chicken with Stir-fry Veggies and Salad

Ok. That's one helluva long name, but the dish is pretty darn simple...and you'd take lesser time making it than you would reading this recipe! The only hitch is waiting for the chicken to get marinated, but you could use that time to do your cutting/chopping for the stir fried veggies! So, if you are one of those people who longs to eat chicken but aren't in the mood to make elaborate curries or gravies then this one is for you. It's got just the right amount of spices in the marinade to give your palate a wake-up-call around lunch time. The stir fried veggies and salad side compliment the chicken to make it a 'I-want-more' dish among kids (My son loves this, so I know!). Throw in one or two slices of whole wheat bread to get your carbs if you want to, but I'd say this is as good as a hearty meal on its own.

Posted by Picasa

Ingredients for Griddle Fried Chicken
1 Chicken Breast - Thinly Sliced (Thaw if frozen), Cleaned & Washed
1 tsp Oil

Ingredients for Marinade
2 tbsp Yogurt/Curd
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tsp Red Chillie Powder/Paprika
1 tsp Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
1 tsp Garam Masala
And, of course, some salt to taste!

Ingredients for Stir Fried Veggies and Salad
1 Cup Your choice of vegetables - Washed and Julienned/Chopped (I've used carrots, green beans, red bell pepper, broccoli, white onion and cabbage)
You could opt to steaming the veggies that do not cook fast, but I prefer my stir fried veggies a bit crunchy so I do not steam them.
1 tsp Red Chillie Powder
1/2 tsp Soy sauce (optional)
1 tsp Oil
1/2 Cup Iceberg Lettuce - Julienned
And, of course, some salt to taste!

Method
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and stir to a smooth consistency.
- Drop the chicken breast into the marinade and coat it well. Set aside for about 2 hours
- In the meanwhile, chop/julienne all your veggies
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a wok/kadai and toss in your chopped veggies one by one -starting from the ones that take a long time to cook
- After about a minute after you have added all veggies add the red chillie powder, soy sauce and salt and stir fry further until it reaches the level of crunch that you like and set aside
- Now, in a shallow non-stick griddle/tawa, pour a very thin film of oil (about 1 tsp) and set it to heat on a low flame
- Place the marinated chicken breast on the griddle and fry on either side until fully cooked. Be sure to watch this and flip sides often, lest you burn it (especially since it is thinly sliced chicken). You could add more oil if you feel the need, but I'd not recommend it. Once fried, place on a kitchen towel to drain off excess oil
- Once ready, place fried chicken, stir fried veggies and salad on a plate and serve hot

SERVES 1

No comments:

Post a Comment