Hop Right In!

I believe that salt is to food, what food is to life. In right proportions, it can heighten the taste of what you eat..and in the wrong - destroy! Even the most delicious sweets come added with some salt...to taste!

As for me, I've never enjoyed cooking. And as contrary to my owning a food-blog as it may sound, I always think about daily, routine cooking as a chore. But my tryst with the pots and pans began when I got a kitchen all to myself...I began experimenting and exploring new worlds in my own home. Some outcomes were excellent and some plain disasters. Then sprouted the need to keep track of all those good ones...and hence this blog!

Here, I share those experiments that pleased more than one palate!




May 12, 2009

Bhel Puri


This particular dish is an all-time favourite snack for my hubby and me especially on Friday evenings, with some hot masala chai (spiced tea) to follow. Its not only our favourite but is also very popular among gaadi-walas (street foods) in India. My version is of course - simple, quick and easy!


INGREDIENTS

5 cups Puffed Rice (Murmura)
1/2 Tomato - Chopped
1/2 Onion - Chopped
1" Cucumber - Diced
1 Sprig of Cilantro - Finely chopped
1 Green Chili - Finely chopped
4-5pcs Flat Chaat Puris - Crushed
1/2 cup - Fine Sev
1 cup - Spicy Mixture
3 tbsp Diluted Tamarind Paste
2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
And, of course, some salt to taste!!

METHOD

- In a large bowl add the salt, red chili powder, diluted tamarind paste and whisk
- Add the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies and cucumber
- Add the mixture and crushed chaat puris
- Add the puffed rice and cilantro and blend all this together
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fine sev
SERVES 2

2 comments:

  1. Deepti, I tried this out and it was really good! I was able to find a pre-packaged bhel mix at my indian store, so didn't have to buy the sev & rice separately.
    -- Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for trying it... You sure have fired up my motivation to post more recipes out here! Thnx again... and yeah, keep trying the other things as well and give me feedback!

    ReplyDelete